The Hall of Languages (formerly the Library) was constructed in 1930 at a cost of $200,000. In addition to serving as the first dedicated library from 1930-1959, the Hall of Languages hosted social functions such as campus dances in its large reading room. During World War II, the school partitioned part of the reading room and stack areas for classrooms to be used by the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps. From the 1930s to the 1960s, the top floor housed a local history museum. After the current Gee Library opened in 1959, the original library was converted to the Hall of Languages. The open two-story reading room on the north side of the building was divided vertically to create a third floor. Many elements of the original library, such as built-in bookcases are still visible throughout the building.
According to campus legend, President Mayo, while looking out the windows of his office in Old Main, pointed to a black locust thicket on the northeast corner of campus and remarked that he would like the spot to be his final resting place. His wish was honored. On March 19, 1917, he was interred at […].../ ➝
One of President R.B. Binnion’s primary complaints during his tenure was the lack of a dedicated president’s home. His successor, President Sam Whitley, shared Binnion’s sentiments. An early construction bill for a president’s home was vetoed by the state legislature. Despite the veto, land for the new home just south of the new Education Building […].../ ➝
East Texas State broke ground on what was then known as the Education Building in January 1924. The $285,000 building was completed at the end of 1925 and dedicated in a formal ceremony on January 16, 1926. This same ceremony also marked the inauguration of ET’s third president, Samuel H. Whitley. The Education Building was […].../ ➝
Due to the lack of devoted athletic facilities on campus, City Park was utilized by ETNC students during the early years of the athletics program. Multiple 1917 issues of the East Texan describe the construction of the first athletic fields on campus on three acres of land to be used for football, basketball, baseball, and […].../ ➝
The oldest of three dormitories was constructed in 1899 at the southeast corner of the intersection of Lee and Campbell Streets. It is likely it housed both male and female students until the construction in 1904 of a dormitory for women, South Dormitory, named for its location from first dormitory. Constructed in 1906, the third […].../ ➝
Originally located in Cooper, East Texas Normal College moved to Commerce in 1894 following a devastating fire that destroyed the first and only campus building. The fire was one of many occurrences that prompted President Mayo to relocate the college to Commerce. Commerce was desirable partly due to the city’s rail connections and also because […].../ ➝
College Hall, the first building to be constructed on the present-day campus in Commerce, was completed in January 1895. The building included a bell tower, six classrooms, two offices, a library, and an auditorium. In 1905-1906, using funds donated by the citizens of Commerce, the building was renovated and a brick facade was added to […].../ ➝