East Texas State broke ground on what was then known as the Education Building in January 1924. The $285,000 building was completed at the end of 1925 and dedicated in a formal ceremony on January 16, 1926. This same ceremony also marked the inauguration of ET’s third president, Samuel H. Whitley. The Education Building was the first to be constructed using state funds after the purchase of the college by the state. The building originally housed an auditorium, administrative offices for the president and dean, classrooms, the Training School, and a gymnasium on the west side of the building known as the “Cub Gym.”
When the administrative offices moved to the new Administration Building (Ed North) in 1951, the vacated space was converted to classrooms and additional office space. While the building was remodeled several times over the years, an extensive $1.5 million remodel began in 1984 to bring the building up to current safety codes and to improve the building’s accessibility. The cornerstone, laid in a formal ceremony on May 6, 1924, included artifacts contributed by students and faculty. It was first opened during the university’s centennial in 1989 and is scheduled to be opened again in May 2024.
Now known as Ferguson Social Sciences, the building currently houses the Departments of History, Political Science, Sociology, a Veteran’s Lounge, Global Programs Office, and the Safety and Risk Management Office. Ferguson is the oldest building on campus.
Located in front of Ferguson, the Resting Lion was donated by the summer class of 1929 as their senior gift. The Lion was meant to be a concrete testimony to democracy, friendship, scholarship and loyalty.