Originally located in Cooper, East Texas Normal College moved to Commerce in 1894 following a devastating fire that destroyed the first and only campus building. The fire was one of many occurrences that prompted President Mayo to relocate the college to Commerce. Commerce was desirable partly due to the city’s rail connections and also because of a generous donation of land and money from the city to support the relocation. From September 3 to December 31, 1894, ETNC occupied space in a rented room on Main Street. The location was adjacent to the two-story Odd Fellows Building. The college had only 35 students. In 1895, the college’s first building in Commerce, College Hall, was completed, and the college moved to its present location.