The Hall of Languages (formerly the Library) was constructed in 1930 at a cost of $200,000. In addition to serving as the first dedicated library from 1930-1959, the Hall of Languages hosted social functions such as campus dances in its large reading room. During World War II, the school partitioned part of the reading room and stack areas for classrooms to be used by the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps. From the 1930s to the 1960s, the top floor housed a local history museum. After the current Gee Library opened in 1959, the original library was converted to the Hall of Languages. The open two-story reading room on the north side of the building was divided vertically to create a third floor. Many elements of the original library, such as built-in bookcases are still visible throughout the building.